Sunday 8 November 2015

A Day To Remember Them

On this day, Remembrance Sunday, it is a time for reflection. A day when millions of people around the world, pay there respects to those who fought for our freedom. Some of whom never came home, were injured mentally and physically as well as all those families affected by war. It is a day to remember the war dead on both sides for they are no longer enemies, to many of them, they were fighting a cause they believed in and for others they were too scared to go against the norm. 

Throughout the years, there have been many conflicts, some of which people thought were unjust. But today isn't about that - it is about all the brave men and women who signed the pledge to fight for Queen and Country what ever the cost may be. 

Therefore on this Remembrance Sunday, I would like to dedicate this post in memory of all those who fought to keep people like me safe and able to do the everyday things I do today. 

I would also like to share with you an unsigned poem that can be found at the Royal British Legion Club in Limassol, Cyprus:

Why wear a poppy?

"Please wear a poppy", the lady said. 
And held one out, but I shook my head.
Then I stopped and watched as she offered them, there, 
And her face was old and lined with care,
But beneath the lines the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on carefree feet,
"Lady", he said, "Can I have one?"
When she'd pinned it on he turned to say,
"Why do we were a poppy today?"

The lady smiled in a wistful way
And answered, "This is Remembrance Day,
And the Poppy there, is the symbol for,
The gallant men who died in war,
And because they did, you and I are free,
That's why we wear a poppy, you see.

I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.
He loved to play and jump and shout,
Free as a bird he would race about.
As the years went by he learned and grew
And became a man - as you will too.

He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,
But he seemed to be with us such a short while.
When war broke out he went away:
I still remember his face that day,
When he smiled at me and said, "Goodbye, I'll be back soon Mum, so please don't cry".

But the war went on and he had to stay,
And all I could do was wait and pray.
His letters told of the awful fight
(I see it still in my dreams at night).
With the tanks and guns and the cruel barbed wire,
And the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire.

Till at last, at last, the war was won,
"So that's why we were a poppy, son!"
The small boy turned as if to go,
The said, "Thanks lady, I'm glad to know,
That really did sound an awful fight,
But, your son, did he come back alright?"

A tear rolled down the faded cheek;
She shook her head but could not speak. 
I slunk away, feeling sick with shame,
And if you'd been me you'd have done the same.
For our thanks, in giving, is oft delayed,
Though our freedom was bought - and thousands paid.

And so when you see a poppy worn,
Try to think of the heavy burden borne
By those, who gave their very all
When asked to respond to their country's call:
That we at home in peace might live.
So wear a Poppy! Remember! Give!


No comments:

Post a Comment